Define Health. What is positive health? What are the criteria of good physical health?
Definition: According to WHO
“Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well being not merely the absence of disease or infirmity that enable a person to lead a socially and economically productive life.”
Positive health: A person who enjoys health at three planes like good physical, mental and social wellbeing is said to be in a state of positive health.
The state of positive health implies the notion of perfect functioning of the body and mind.
Criteria of good positive health:
- Normal Appetite: Feeling hungry at meal times, being able to taste and smell the food, consuming the proper amount of food.
- Bowel movements: Twice per day (or more) as many times as we eat is how many times we should have a movement. Stools should be firm and long, brown in color; feeling of having adequately emptied the bowels necessary.
- Proper urination: Five to seven times daily. The color should be pale yellow and an adequate amount of urine and force to expel the urine is necessary.
- Proper sleep pattern: The ability to sleep through the night without waking up and feeling adequately rested upon arising.
- Cool face, warm hand & feet: Face should feel comfortably cool, not hot, back of hands and feet should feel cool while palms and soles feel warm.
6. The special senses are intact.